There are several oils which are excellent for detoxifying the body in specific ways:
• Juniper helps the body to throw off toxic wastes, improves elimination and improves skin conditions
• Grapefruit aids the digestive system and skin, and helps detox from substance abuse
• Fennel helps with nausea, flatulence and constipation and is wonderful as an afternoon tea
• Bergamot is very relaxing and directly influences the appetite control centre in the brain by regulating cravings. It also lifts spirits
• Rose geranium has a tonifying effect on the liver and kidneys. It helps the body to eliminate fluids more efficiently, thereby helping the lymphatic system to detox
Other fantastic oils for detoxing your body: peppermint, mandarin, patchouli, rosemary and Helichrysum Oil.
To cleanse the lymphatic system of high levels of toxins and improve digestive and elimination tract, use fennel, juniper, and lemon essential oils.
Start by massaging the oils on the feet, then moving up toward the legs, belly, and chest, following the direction of the lymphatic system.
You may also apply the oils in the acupressure points located near the lymph nodes, such as below the clavicle bone, under the arm pit, the inguinal area, and behind the knees. For best results, dilute essential oils with avocado, coconut or jojoba carrier oil. A good rule of thumb is to make a 2% dilution for adults by adding 12 drops of essential oil to each fl. ounce (30 ml) of carrier oil. For young children and infants 0.5-1% dilution = 3-6 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil. For therapeutic purpose, you may use between 2.5-10% ratio.
To release emotional trauma from the body and detox the liver, combine bergamot, grapefruit, lavender, rose geranium, and sandalwood 24 drops total in a 30 ml of carrier oil and apply the blend to the back of the neck, on the temples, and over the liver and solar plexus area. It is highly effective in calming symptoms of anger and frustration.
Detoxing with essential oils is a very simple and effective procedure and needs to be done on a regular basis for optimum results, whether you choose to use them in bath water, spritzer, compress, massage, or simply as a perfume.
For a full aromatherapy consultation or shiatsu massage, come in for an appointment with Guiomar at Lotus Arts and Wellness- 416 986-9270
The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food. ~Hippocrates