Sitz bath recipe
Sitz bath is very suiting to the perineum. It helps to reduce burning, swelling and other discomforts after the birth.
You may prepare this herbal infusion ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until time to use it. The herbs comfrey, St. John’s wart flower and calendula flower are well known for its healing properties.
- 12 cups water
- 4 tablespoons comfrey leaf (Symphytum ofﬁcinale)
- 4 tablespoons St. John’s wort ﬂower (Hypericum perforatum)
- 4 tablespoons calendula ﬂower (Calendula ofﬁcinalis)
Boil water in a large pot than add the herbs. Turn off the heat. Allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Cool and pour half of the tea into shallow bath with 1/2 cup of epson salt specially if you have tearing or stitches. Soak for 15 min.
The other method of application is to apply as a compress on a soft cloth. Soak the cloth and apply straight in the perineum, hold it in place for 15 min
Witch hazel can also be applied as a compress on a soft tissue or cloth to hemorrhoids and to ease swelling and perineum discomfort.
If possible, allow some fresh air to circulate for a few minutes each day to your perineum to aid healing.
Postpartum Herbal Care
- 3 parts lemon balm leaf (Melissa ofﬁcinalis)
- 2 parts chamomile ﬂower (Matricaria recutita)
- 2 parts hibiscus ﬂower (Hibiscus sabdariffa)
- 1 part rose petal
- 1/8 part lavender ﬂower (Lavendula ofﬁcinalis)
- 1/4 part rose hips (Rosa canina)
Add all the ingredients to boiling water and let it steam for 10 minutes. You can make a gallon of it and drink it throughout the day either cold or hot. Enjoy it with your family members and care providers for a nice relaxing time.
This information is intended to educate the public on other alternative approaches to health and not to cure diseases. Please consult your doctor or health care professional if you need any help