What is a doula?
A doula supports the mother emotionally, mentally and physically during delivery. A doula serves, assists, nurture, inspire, educates the mother about the process of labor and delivery creating a safe and empowering experience for the new mom to be. The work of a doula reduces a mom’s anxiety and lower the rate of medical interventions (including C-sections) and improve mother-baby bonding post-birth.
What is included in the doula services (treatment, labor and home care)
- Consultation, birth planning, organization, preparation for labor(including partners training), full body treatment using oils, acupressure, reiki and acupuncture. Guiomar uses other non-medical pain-management techniques including aromatherapy, movement, rhythm, music and mantras to guide you in your journey.
- Labor- I will be on call at least 3 days before due date,
- Meet mother at the hospital or home
- Accompany mother during first, second and third stage of labor until baby is born
- Assist mother to bond with baby, relaxation technique
Doula package # 1- $1000 + HST
- Assistance during labor hospital or home birth ( shiatsu, acupuncture, aromatherapy, breath work, visualization) - 7-14hrs, after that $25/hr
- 1 x 90 min post natal visit that includes shiatsu massage, acupuncture and belly massage as well as 20 min baby massage and lesson.
- Assistance with baby care
- 3 Follow up calls 15 min each.
Doula package # 2- $1250 + HST
- 1 x 90 min pre natal home visit and labor induction
- Assistance during labor( shiatsu, acupuncture, aromatherapy, breath work, visualization) - 7-14hrs, after that $25/hr
- 3 follow up calls(15 min)
- 2 x 75 min post natal visit, belly massage, baby shiatsu massage, breastfeeding coaching.
Doula package #3- $25/hr
- In home support over four to five weeks
- Minimum 4- 8 hours a day
- Assistance with newborn care (Diet, feeding, diaper change, bathing)
- Breastfeeding support and instruction
- House hold organization - light housekeeping, laundry, dishes, etc
- Price can be negotiated according to the number of weeks and time of the day.
Other doula services available
90 min pre-natal visits - $185
- Shiatsu massage
- Preparation for labor, breathing and visualization technique
- Induction treatment with acupressure and acupuncture
- Aromatherapy neck and shoulder massage, breath work, foot massage
- Reiki session, Acupuncture treatment
Assistance during labor- $700
Acupuncture treatment during labor along with hot towels, aromatherapy massage, breathing technique, visualization, shiatsu, reiki, energy healing, movement therapy, mother’s overall care.
90 min post-natal visit includes-$185
- Mother’s Shiatsu and aromatherapy massage
- Belly massage and scar acupuncture
- Breastfeeding assistance
- Newborn massage
- Umbilical cord care
- Baby’s bath( after 3 days)
Patients comes for regular treatment to help the body recover from labour and return to normal.
60 min post natal back and belly shiatsu massage, scar acupuncture( c-section)
It helps to improve abdominal distention due to water retention, pain as well as it brings internal organs back to place improves digestive issues and weight loss.
Why acupuncture and shiatsu treatment are important in pregnancy?
- It helps the mother to-be to adapt to the constant changes and stress of a growing belly;
- It empowers women giving them an opportunity to feel nurtured and loved;
- It creates an opportunity for mother to bond with baby;
- There is an emotional necessity for women to be touched during pregnancy.