Literally translated, Shiatsu means “Finger pressure”.
It is a Japanese therapy based on sustained application of pressure primary with thumbs to selected acupressure points in the body.
This integrative technique engages the body into deep relaxation, while improving joint flexibility and correction of posture.
Pregnancy Shiatsu Massage
Shiatsu treatment can turn a woman’s desire to conceive into an easy and positive experience.
Treatment focuses on applying gentle and ﬁrm pressure along the spine to stimulate the autonomic nerve system (ANS) to relax the body.
The ANS controls contraction of the uterus and fallopian tubes and improves the ovary’s ability to produce healthy eggs and hormones.
During labour the therapist will use an integrative approach to relax mother’s mind and body as well as help to release any fear or anxiety. Acupressure technique, breath work, visualization and the use of correct posture are amongst a few integrative techniques that will be used to assist pregnant women.
Why pregnant women get back pain?
Back pain occurs as a result of the growing uterus, incorrect posture, weight gain, and stress.
As the baby grows, the center of gravity changes, creating shifts in the posture. Poor posture combined with long hours standing and excessive bending has a tremendous effect on joints, ligaments and muscles.
Some women experience discomfort around the lumbar and sacrum area, while others may experience sciatica pain. Shiatsu massage addresses this by stimulating powerful acupressure points on muscles surrounding the inﬂamed nerves and ligaments.
Facts of Pregnancy Shiatsu Massage
Specifically tailored for pregnant women.
- Provides comfort to the mother Uses a lot of pillows for propping up in bed to bring deep relaxation;
- Focused on where pregnant womanʼs most common sore spots are likely to be;
- Works with a womanʼs center of gravity relieving unnecessary stress on muscles and joints;
- Promotes proper position of the body in normal daily activities.
What makes pregnancy Shiatsu massage unique?
Designed specifically for the pregnant body.
- Uses light long holding pressure on specific points along the spine and lower body;
- Performed by a knowledgeable shiatsu therapist who understands not only the technique but is also trained to recognize signs of prenatal disorder;
- Uses specific stretching techniques to prepare women for labor.
Why pregnancy Shiatsu massage is important?
Medical research has shown that massage actually reduces stress hormones in the body.
- It helps the mother to-be to adapt to the constant changes and stress of a growing belly;
- It empowers women giving them an opportunity to feel nurtured and loved;
- It creates an opportunity for mother to bond with baby;
- There is an emotional necessity for women to be touched during pregnancy.
Benefits of Pregnancy Shiatsu Massage
- Reduces back pain;
- Reduces joint pain specially around neck, shoulders and hip joints;
- Reduces edema and improves circulation in the lower legs and feet;
- Reduces sciatica nerve pain;
- Reduced muscle tension and headaches;
- Reduced stress and anxiety, improve breathing;
- Improve sleeping;
- Boosts production of endorphins, the body’s feel-good chemicals that helps to relieve pain and reduce stress;
- Helps the baby to get into an ideal position for labor, strengthens contractions, and helps the baby’s descent;
- Prenatal Shiatsu massage is indicated at any point during a healthy pregnancy and if there is any complications itʼs a good idea to talk to your obstetrician or your midwife for advice.